28. Pescado Mojado Seafood Grill, 1701 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 413-8712. Charbroiled brochettes, green salads and ceviche offer a healthy alternative to fast food -- and they serve beer and wine.
29. Sea Level Records, 1716 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 989-0146. Owner Todd Clifford gives indie rock a storefront, and on-the-verge bands a performance space. A hairdresser works in the loft at Sonic Roots.
30. Rec Center Studio, 1161 Logan St., (213) 413-9300. Photographer Stephen Stickler is building the East Side equivalent of Smashbox Studios in a spacious former bowling alley.
31. Phoenix Express, 1325 N. Echo Park Ave., (213) 250-4818. The Echo Park outpost of the Chinatown bakery sells its trademark strawberry cream cakes, along with Chinese entrees.
32. La Fe, 1525 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 481-9896. The Salvadoran restaurant offers fresh fruit juices, plantains, burritos and three tacos for $3.
33. Nahui Ohlin, 1511 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 202-6550. Votan Ikahn sells Mexican folk art and sarcastic and political T-shirts with an alt-Latino edge.
34. The Gold Room, 1558 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 482-5259. The 25-year-old mainstay caters to a mixed crowd with dollar shots, food and drink specials. Happy hour, 5 to 9 p.m.; daily hours till 2 a.m.
35. Barragan's, 1538 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 250-4256. The Mexican restaurant is as notable for its longevity -- 43 years -- as for its 12-ounce margaritas, which are $2.25 on Wednesdays. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night meals.
36. The Short Stop, 1455 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 482-4942. The former hangout for Rampart Division cops has become a watering hole for hipsters.
37. Little Joy, 1477 W. Sunset Blvd., (213) 250-3417. A dive by most standards, and a new favorite for locals of all stripes.
Art Crawl 7: Sept. 17-19. Art galleries throughout Echo Park, Silver Lake and Los Feliz host this free, three-day open house with a kick-off party from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Safari Sam's Sunset Stage, 5214 W. Sunset Blvd. For information,(323) 666-7667 or www.laluzdejesus.com.
First Saturdays: Stores and galleries along Echo Park Avenue open from 7:30 to 10 p.m. and feature new artists, designer collections and more. After 10, the party moves to the Echo nightclub. The next event is Sept. 11.