YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The Nation

Teen Is Accused of Threatening School

Boy, two others arrested after police find arms, ammunition and bomb- making paraphernalia.

September 18, 2004|From Associated Press

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A 17-year-old boy was arrested, and police found weapons, ammunition and bomb-making paraphernalia in his home after a tip that he was making threats online against his high school, fellow students and an officer assigned to the building, authorities said Friday.

Chippewa Valley High School -- which the youth had begun attending only days earlier -- was searched, but nothing suspicious was found. The teenager's father and a man accused of giving the boy bomb-making instructions also were arrested.

Investigators received a tip Thursday from a Washington state police officer that a student was making threats against the school in a chat room, police said Friday at a news conference.

The police officer's daughter had been in the chat room talking with the student when he allegedly indicated that he had a number of weapons and planned to kill a police liaison officer assigned to the school, authorities said.

Police displayed weapons and ammunition, tools allegedly stolen from a construction site, Nazi flags and books about white supremacy and Adolf Hitler. They said the items were found at the teen's Macomb County home about 25 miles northeast of Detroit.

"He was angry at everybody. I don't know if it was one particular race," Clinton Township Police Capt. Douglas Mills said.

"It didn't really seem to matter to him. What was in his head, we don't know for sure."

A search of the home also yielded "instruction sheets on how to build a bomb" and videotapes showing the teen in possession of assault weapons, police said in a statement.

The teen was charged with threatening terrorism -- which carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison -- concealing stolen firearms, breaking and entering a gun shop and threatening to kill a witness, among other charges.

The judge entered a not guilty plea on his behalf and set a cash bond of $1 million for the most serious charges.

When Magistrate John P. Russi asked whether the youth had anything to say about bond, the teen responded: "I'd like to participate in any kind of drug program, any kind of antiviolence program, anything I can do to help the community."

The boy's father, was charged with concealing stolen firearms. He pleaded not guilty and bond was set at $500,000.

Dominic Queentry, 33, of Clinton Township, who police say provided the teen with bomb-making instructions, also was arrested.

Investigators said they found explosives, weapons and drugs inside his home.

Charges against Queentry include possessing explosives and manufacturing marijuana. He pleaded not guilty and his bond was set at $100,000.

Los Angeles Times Articles