When a good writer chronicles his life, it is art. When an amateur feels the need to chronicle his life by listing what he made or ate for dinner each night, often the best that can be said is that it's touching. In the world of food blogs, you may be touched and find some great recipes in the bargain.
(BEGIN TEXT OF INFOBOX)
* blogs.salon.com/0001399/2004 /08/13.html (The Julie/Julia project)
Chocolate zucchini cake
Total time: 1 hour
Note: From chocolateandzucchini.com.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (the stronger the better)
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2 medium)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10-inch springform cake pan and sprinkle with cocoa powder to coat. Tap out any excess.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a food processor, combine the butter and brown sugar. Pulse until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and instant coffee and pulse to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, and pulse to mix between each addition. Scrape the bowl after each addition.
4. Reserve one-half cup of the flour mixture and set aside. Spoon the rest of the flour mixture into the food processor and pulse until smooth. The batter will be thick.
5. Combine the grated zucchini, chocolate chips and reserved flour mixture and toss to coat. Fold the zucchini mixture into the cake batter, blending thoroughly.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spatula.
7. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over the batter. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes.
8. Cool on a rack for about 30 minutes, then unmold and serve.
Each serving: 401 calories; 8 grams protein; 56 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 19 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 88 mg. cholesterol; 293 mg. sodium.