Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

THE WORLD

Seven Men Charged in Cambodian Takeover

Four allegedly carried out the deadly school assault. The other three are called accomplices.

June 20, 2005|From Associated Press

SIEM REAP, Cambodia — Seven Cambodian men were charged in court Sunday with involvement in the death of a 2-year-old Canadian boy during last week's takeover at an international school.

Four men accused of carrying out the attack on the school near northwestern Cambodia's Angkor Wat temple complex were charged with premeditated murder, kidnapping, illegal detainment of persons for ransom and illegal use of a weapon, prosecutor Bou Bunhang said. The charges carry penalties ranging from 15 years to life in prison.

Their three alleged accomplices -- two private security guards and a man who allegedly sold the handgun used to kill the boy -- were charged with conspiracy to commit premeditated murder, illegal detainment and illegal use of a weapon. One of the guards worked at the school.

Four men stormed Siem Reap International School on Thursday and held about 30 students and some teachers hostage for more than six hours.

Their alleged leader, Chea Sokhom, shot the Canadian boy in the head because he would not stop crying, police say.

The crisis ended when police cornered the van in which the attackers tried to escape with several child hostages and a reported $30,000 ransom.

Ou Em, head of the serious crime division in Siem Reap province, said police Saturday arrested Un Nee, who allegedly sold the handgun to Chea Sokhom for $150.

The two security guards told police that Chea Sokhom had invited them to join in a plot to hold the school's students for ransom, police said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|