Advertisement

The Nation | IN BRIEF / LOUISIANA

Fiery Mattress in Door Leads to Deaths of 11

March 11, 2005|From Times Wire Reports

Eleven family members died in their apartment in Marrero after a mattress caught fire and got stuck in a door as they tried to drag it out, authorities said.

The fire was started by candles the family had been using because they had moved in hours earlier and did not yet have electricity, Sheriff Harry Lee said. Four family members escaped. The dead ranged in age from 6 months to 42 years.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|