Contending that his freedom of speech was violated and reputation damaged, a former student ousted last year by Occidental College as co-host of a "shock jock"-style campus radio show sued his alma mater Tuesday for more than $10 million.
Jason Antebi's suit says that the Los Angeles college had no basis for removing him from the "Rant and Rave" show on campus station KOXY-FM (104.7). It also maintains that Occidental officials wrongly found him guilty in a campus disciplinary proceeding of sexual harassment for comments he made on the show.
Antebi's firing became a celebrated cause among some advocates for campus free speech. The Philadelphia-based Foundation for Individual Rights in Education filed a protest with the college on behalf of Antebi and the ACLU of Southern California also urged Occidental to reverse itself. Despite the campus disciplinary proceedings, Antebi graduated from Occidental in May.
The suit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court also accuses college officials of defaming Antebi. It says college administrators depicted him as "a racist, criminal, drug pusher, advocate of violence, unethical student representative, and as a person responsible for an atmosphere of terror on campus" against women.