Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The Nation

Nevada's gov.-elect won't be prosecuted

December 28, 2006|From the Associated Press

LAS VEGAS — Nevada Gov.-elect Jim Gibbons will not be prosecuted on allegations that he assaulted a cocktail waitress in a parking garage three weeks before the election, authorities said Wednesday.

There was insufficient evidence to prove criminal charges against Gibbons beyond a reasonable doubt, Clark County Dist. Atty. David Roger said.

"You may consider the case against Gov.-elect Jim Gibbons closed," he said.

Chrissy Mazzeo, 32, had accused Gibbons of pushing her against a wall and propositioning her near a restaurant where the two had been drinking with friends Oct. 13, less than a month before Gibbons was elected.

An apparently distraught and disoriented Mazzeo made three 911 calls that night, saying she had been assaulted by the married five-term Republican congressman.

Gibbons, 61, has said he merely caught Mazzeo when she tripped in the parking garage.

Gibbons defeated Democrat Dina Titus in the Nov. 7 election. He is to be sworn in Monday.

Investigators conducted interviews and reviewed surveillance videos from the garage before determining there was "no evidence to support the charge of battery," according to a police statement released this month.

Gibbons' spokesman, Brent Boynton, said the district attorney's decision was no surprise because Gibbons had done nothing inappropriate.

"He is pleased this matter is finally resolved and justice has been served," Boynton said.

Mazzeo told the Associated Press on Wednesday that she did not believe justice was served.

"I actually even said that if he apologized to me, I would drop everything," she said. "And he wasn't man enough to actually apologize."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|