YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


Arizona Loses Again at Oregon

January 15, 2006|From the Associated Press

Malik Hairston scored 18 of his 23 points in the second half to lead Oregon to a 73-68 victory over No. 24 Arizona on Saturday at Eugene, marking the first time the Wildcats have been swept on their Oregon trip since 2000.

It was the first victory for the Ducks (9-8 overall, 3-2 Pacific 10) over the Wildcats (10-5, 3-3) since 2002, a span of seven games.

Ivan Johnson, playing in his first game after serving a two-game suspension, gave the Ducks the lead for good with a driving jump shot in the lane that made the score 66-64 with three minutes to play.

A free throw by Hassan Adams cut Arizona's deficit to one point, but Aaron Brooks followed with a free throw and Oregon closed out the last 2:34 on a 7-3 run.

Mustafa Shakur scored 19 points for the Wildcats, who lost, 75-65, to Oregon State on Thursday night in Corvallis.

Hairston made four three-point shots in just over four minutes midway through the second half to lead the Ducks on a 16-3 run. His first at the 14:11 mark broke a 44-44 tie, and his layup with 8:44 left gave Oregon its largest lead of the game, 60-49.

Arizona State 65, Oregon State 63 -- Antwi Antuahene made a runner in the lane to give the Sun Devils the lead with 8.6 seconds left in overtime at Corvallis, then rejected Jason Fontenet's shot with time running down.

Marcel Jones got the rebound for the Beavers, but his eight-foot shot bounced off the rim, and the Sun Devils had their first conference victory.

The Beavers (9-7, 2-3) led until the last shot of the first half, when Bryson Krueger capped a 10-2 run with a buzzer-beating scoop to give the Sun Devils a 27-25 lead.

Arizona State (7-8, 1-5) led by five points early in the second half, but the Beavers fought back. Oregon State's Kyle Jeffers completed a three-point play to tie the score at 57-57 with 1:07 left in regulation.

Jones was called for traveling in the key, giving the Sun Devils a final chance, but Krueger missed a three-point attempt and the game went to overtime.

Los Angeles Times Articles