Re "Not when, but why," editorial, Jan. 29
I have some suggestions for the mayor on how to improve the performance of Los Angeles Unified School District schools.
* Make sure parents with students enrolled in these schools have good-paying jobs so they can afford to provide the essentials for success -- a decent home, enough food and educational materials.
* Stop crime in the city so the kids can be safe in the schools.
* End homelessness and the problems with the mentally ill.
* End the gridlock on city streets.
* Provide free or low-cost health insurance for all residents.
* Stop all pedophiles from molesting the children.
These are just a few of the ills facing our city, and when the mayor can solve all these problems, then I will feel better about his plan to take on the district.