Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

THE WORLD

Fired Reporter Wins $180,000 in ABC Dispute

July 04, 2006|From the Associated Press

LONDON — A television reporter who alleges he was fired by ABC because he refused to go to Iraq said Monday that he was not fairly compensated despite an employment tribunal ruling in his favor.

Former ABC News correspondent Richard Gizbert said he was informed Monday of the tribunal's decision to award him $180,000. He had been seeking more than $3.7 million in compensation for lost earnings after his 2004 dismissal.

London-based Gizbert said he and his lawyers were puzzled by the small size of the award, given the tribunal's "strongly worded and precedent-setting judgment." He said he had not decided whether to appeal.

The tribunal ruled in December that Gizbert, 48, had been "unfairly dismissed for a reason related to health and safety." ABC is challenging that ruling.

The tribunal rejected ABC News' contention that Gizbert's dismissal was not linked to his refusal to cover wars but came because of network cutbacks. The network insists all assignments to war zones and other dangerous places are voluntary.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|