YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Bonds' Trainer in Court

Anderson appears before a federal grand jury and refuses to answer questions afterward.

July 28, 2006|Thomas Bonk | Times Staff Writer

SAN FRANCISCO — Greg Anderson, Barry Bonds' personal trainer, appeared before a federal grand jury on two occasions Thursday and twice more in closed-door sessions with a U.S. judge, then left the federal courthouse accompanied by his attorney.

As he walked toward his car, Anderson, dressed in a dark suit with a white shirt and sneakers, refused to answer questions. Matthew Geragos, who represents Anderson, along with Geragos' brother, Mark, also had no comment.

There was speculation that Anderson would be charged with contempt of court and be sent to prison for a third time as a result of Thursday's proceedings if he did not answer the grand jury's questions concerning Bonds' possible perjury and tax evasion charges growing out of the BALCO doping investigation.

Anderson may appear before the grand jury next Thursday when it meets again.

Federal prosecutors Matt Parrella and Jeff Nedrow would not comment after the closed hearings before U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey S. White. Doors to the courtroom were locked, its small windows were covered with white paper and three private security guards were posted outside.

While no one would comment on the record, at least two possible scenarios were advanced. Prosecutors could be preparing to file a motion for contempt of court, at which time at least a portion of the proceedings would be made in open court. It's also possible that Anderson may have reached an agreement to answer at least some of the questions in front of the grand jury.

Geragos shed no light on the matter, as he and Anderson left the courtroom, trailed by a dozen reporters and facing another dozen photographers and video cameras. "It's cooler up here than in L.A.," Geragos said.

Last week Anderson was released from prison when prosecutors said the grand jury's term investigating Bonds expired without an indictment. Anderson, who was jailed for his refusal to testify before the grand jury, had already served three months after he pled guilty to steroid distribution and money laundering in the BALCO case.

Anderson was subpoenaed again to appear Thursday before the grand jury.

Federal investigators want to find out whether Bonds lied under oath when he told a grand jury in 2003 that he didn't know that the substances Anderson provided him were steroids. Part of the investigation is also believed to be pursuing whether Bonds failed to pay taxes on income from sales of sports memorabilia.

The grand jury's session can last 18 months and Anderson is facing the possibility of being jailed for that length of time. If Anderson is returned to prison, it's also possible that a federal judge could free him sooner if he is convinced Anderson won't testify.

Los Angeles Times Articles