Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens was hospitalized Tuesday night after suffering an allergic reaction to pain medication probably being taken for his broken right hand, according to newspaper and broadcast reports.
"This is not serious," Owens' publicist Kim Etheridge said in today's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Repeated calls from the Associated Press to Owens' agent, his publicist and the Cowboys were not returned. A hospital spokeswoman told the AP early today that there was not a patient registered under the name Terrell Owens; however, federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.
No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.
Owens' status for Sunday's game against Tennessee was not immediately known. He was expected to practice today for the first time since breaking the bone leading to his right ring finger a week ago Sunday night. The next day, a plate was screwed in, protecting the bone so it can heal without further damage.
Cowboys Coach Bill Parcells previously has said that Owens' pain medication had made him ill.
Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT, citing sources it did not identify, reported that Owens was taken to Baylor University Medical Center by a fire rescue crew, and that doctors were trying to induce vomiting. A reporter for the station later said she saw Owens being wheeled down the hall.