Advertisement
 

Search continues for pair swept off jetty

IN BRIEF / Orange County / NEWPORT BEACH

April 12, 2007|From Times Staff and Wire Reports

The search continued Wednesday for the bodies of a man and woman swept off a jetty in Corona del Mar by a large wave.

"We have boats out there looking, but nothing so far," said Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department. "We're going to keep searching for the next couple of days, and hopefully we'll be able to locate them."

The pair, described as Asians in their 50s, were last seen about 9:15 a.m. Tuesday at the end of a rock jetty separating Newport Bay from Corona del Mar State Beach. Authorities have said they were presumed drowned.

Amormino said it was not unusual that authorities hadn't received a missing-person's report by Wednesday evening. "A lot of people wouldn't be reported missing for a few days," he said. Amormino said that strong currents could have swept the pair out to sea. "They could be as far as Laguna Beach by now."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|