Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

California in Brief | SAN LORENZO

Boy, 3, dies in fire he started

December 22, 2007|From the Associated Press

Alameda County fire officials say a 3-year-old boy died in a fire he accidentally set inside his family's home.

The child's grandfather told firefighters the blaze started Thursday night when the youngster poked a piece of cardboard into the fireplace and then placed the burning object on a sofa bed.

The grandfather says he tried to extinguish the flames with a glass of water and a garden hose while the boy hid in the bathroom.

Firefighters found the house engulfed in flames and the boy not breathing when they arrived. The child was pronounced dead at a hospital less than an hour later.

The grandfather was treated for smoke inhalation and burns to his face. Authorities did not release their names.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|