Advertisement

Senator's phone number on an escort list

A lawyer for the alleged `D.C. madam' says his client is `stunned' that Vitter's apologizing.

July 10, 2007|From the Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) apologized Monday for a significant lapse after his telephone number appeared among those associated with an escort service operated by alleged "D.C. madam" Deborah Jeane Palfrey.

"This was a very serious sin in my past for which I am, of course, completely responsible," Vitter said in the statement. "Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God and my wife in confession and marriage counseling. Out of respect for my family, I will keep my discussion of the matter there -- with God and them. But I certainly offer my deep and sincere apologies to all I have disappointed and let down in any way."

The statement containing Vitter's apology said his number was on old records of Pamela Martin and Associates before he ran for the Senate.

Palfrey's website contains 20 compressed files of phone records, dating from August 1994 to August 2006. No names are listed, only phone numbers. Palfrey wrote on the website that she believed the records had been pirated and was posting the records "to thwart any possible distorted version and to ensure the integrity of the information."

Palfrey was accused in federal court of racketeering by running a prostitution ring that netted more than $2 million over 13 years, beginning in 1993. She contends that her escort service was a legitimate business.

Vitter, 46, a Republican in his first Senate term, was elected to the Senate in 2004. He represented Louisiana in the House from 1999 to 2004. Vitter and his wife, Wendy, live in Metairie, La., with their four children.

Palfrey's attorney, Montgomery Blair Sibley, said she was "stunned that someone would be apologizing for this." He said Palfrey had posted the phone numbers of her escort service's clients online Monday, but he did not know whether Vitter's number was among them.

Vitter's statement was sent to the AP's New Orleans bureau Monday. As of late Monday night, the AP has been unable to connect to Palfrey's website.

Earlier this year Palfrey, 51, of Vallejo, asked the U.S. Supreme Court to delay the criminal case against her -- a request denied in May. Her attorney had argued that it was unfair to proceed because Palfrey's assets remain seized in a civil forfeiture case, meaning she lacked the money to hire the attorney of her choice.

Randall Tobias, a senior official in the State Department, resigned in April after ABC News confronted him about his use of the escort service. He said that he had hired women to come to his Washington condo and give him massages but denied that he had sex with them. Palfrey threatened for months to release her client list, and prosecutors accused her of trying to intimidate potential witnesses.

Contending that her escort service was legal, Palfrey revealed its operation on the ABC news magazine "20/20" on May 4. At the time, ABC said it could not link any information provided by Palfrey to congressional or White House officials but did find links to prominent business executives, NASA officials and at least five military officers.

Prosecutors contend that Palfrey knew the 130 women she employed over 13 years were engaged in prostitution. She said that she operated a "legal, high-end erotic fantasy service" and that the women signed contracts in which they promised not to have sex with clients. The service charged a flat rate of $275 for 90 minutes, she said.

Palfrey pleaded guilty to pimping charges in 1991 and was sentenced to 18 months.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|