Order of horses: By post position, saddlecloth numbers. Odds: Morning line (in parentheses).
Post: 3 p.m. PDT. TV: Channel 4 (coverage begins 2 p.m. PDT)
*--* 1. MINT SLEWLEP (30-1)
* Owner: Marshall Dowell. * Trainer: Robert Bailes. * Jockey: Alan Garcia.
* Sire: Slew City Slew. * Dam: Cry Me A River. * Record: 7-2-0-1. * Earnings: $64,304.
* Comment: If nothing else, this $200,000 2-year-old purchase is well traveled.... Pimlico will be his fifth track since beginning his career Aug. 16.... Has already started at Saratoga, Laurel, Monmouth Park in Oceanport, N.J., and Aqueduct.... He scored both of his victories at Laurel, so he is comfortable in Maryland.... Finished nearly two lengths behind C P West in the Withers in his last race, April 28 in New York.
*--* 2. XCHANGER (15-1)
* Owner: Circle Z Stables. * Trainer: Mark Shuman. * Jockey: Ramon Dominguez.
* Sire: Exchange Rate. * Dam: Saragoza. * Record: 8-3-0-2. * Earnings: $291,990.
* Comment: Only horse in the field with experience at Pimlico.... Extremely impressive in winning the Federico Tesio against suspect opposition in his Pimlico debut April 21.... Did not run well in his lone start in a Grade I as a 2-year-old, finishing sixth in the Champagne in October at Belmont Park.... Defeated by more than 12 lengths by Curlin in the Rebel.
*--* 3. CIRCULAR QUAY (8-1)
* Owner: Michael and Doreen Tabor. * Trainer: Todd Pletcher. * Jockey: John Velazquez.
* Sire: Thunder Gulch. * Dam: Circle Of Life. * Record: 8-4-2-0. * Earnings: $1,147,434.
* Comment: Originally was going to skip the Preakness after finishing sixth in the Derby, but Pletcher reversed course and decided this week to run this colt.... Could improve with that last race behind him, as he ran in the Derby after an eight-week layoff.... Before this year, Pletcher had run only a single horse in the Preakness -- Impeachment, who finished third in 2000.
*--* 4. CURLIN (7-2)
* Owner: Stonestreet Stable, Padua Stable, George Bolton and Midnight Cry Stables.
* Trainer: Steve Asmussen. * Jockey: Robby Albarado.
* Sire: Smart Strike. * Dam: Sherriff's Deputy. * Record: 4-3-0-1. * Earnings: $1,002,800.
* Comment: Suffered first loss in Kentucky Derby but gained a lot of respect in defeat.... Overcame some early trouble, which cost him position, and rallied to complete the trifecta.... Look for him to be closer to the pace in the smaller field.
*--* 5. KING OF THE ROXY (12-1)
* Owner: Team Valor Stables LLC. * Trainer: Todd Pletcher. * Jockey: Garrett Gomez.
* Sire: Littleexpectations. * Dam: Marrakesh. * Record: 7-3-2-0. * Earnings: $446,400.
* Comment: After running five horses in the Derby, Pletcher decided to run only a pair this time.... Skipped the Derby after running second behind Tiago in a weak Santa Anita Derby.... Purchased privately by Team Valor, a partnership headed by Barry Irwin and Jeff Siegel, after his second start last summer at Hollywood Park.... Distance is the big question with this colt, who has not won beyond 7 1/2 furlongs.
*--* 6. FLYING FIRST CLASS (20-1)
* Owner: Ellwood Johnston. * Trainer: Wayne Lukas. * Jockey: Mark Guidry.
* Sire: Perfect Mandate. * Dam: Flying In Style. * Record: 5-2-1-0. * Earnings: $111,096.
* Comment: No match for Curlin in a pair of stakes at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark., this year.... Earned his way to the Preakness with a decisive win in the Derby Trial.... Remains unproved around two turns....Will become the record 32nd starter in the Preakness for Lukas.... Charismatic, who also won the Kentucky Derby that year, gave Lukas the most recent of his five Preakness victories in 1999.
*--* 7. HARD SPUN (5-2)
* Owner: Fox Hills Farms Inc. * Trainer: Larry Jones. * Jockey: Mario Pino.
* Sire: Danzig. * Dam: Turkish. * Record: 7-5-1-0. * Earnings: $873,470.
* Comment: Like Great Hunter, he was bred in Pennsylvania.... No match for Street Sense in the final eighth of a mile at Churchill Downs, but he defeated the rest of the field by nearly six lengths.... Pimlico will be the sixth track for him.... Making his fifth start of the year, and he has yet to run at the same venue twice.... Pino has won more races than any other jockey in Maryland history and is approaching 6,000 victories.... Hard Spun was Pino's first Kentucky Derby mount.
*--* 8. STREET SENSE (7-5)
* Owner: James B. Tafel. * Trainer: Carl Nafzger. * Jockey: Calvin Borel.
* Sire: Street Cry. * Dam: Beaudazzle. * Record: 7-4-1-2. * Earnings: $2,958,200.
* Comment: The last Kentucky Derby winner to repeat in the Preakness was Smarty Jones in 2004.... Seeking his third victory away from Churchill Downs.... Besides winning the Breeders' Cup Juvenile and the Derby, he beat maidens at Arlington Park in his second race last August and won the Tampa Bay Derby this year.... Unbridled, who won the Derby in 1990 for Nafzger, finished second in the Preakness to Summer Squall, the Derby runner-up.
*--* 9. C P WEST (20-1)
* Owner: Robert V. LaPenta. * Trainer: Nick Zito. * Jockey: Edgar Prado.
* Sire: Came Home. * Dam: Queen's Legend. * Record: 5-1-3-0. * Earnings: $116,600.
* Comment: Making second appearance in a Grade I.... Finished sixth, 22 lengths behind Street Sense in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile in November at Churchill Downs.... Purchased for $425,000 as a yearling at the Keeneland September sale in 2005.... Runner-up as the favorite in his first two starts of 2007.... Deserves to be one of the longest shots in the field.