* at Carolina 4, Pittsburgh 1: Sidney Crosby, the reigning league MVP, was held to one shot in 19:27 of ice time in his first game as Penguins' captain.
* N.Y. Islanders 6, at Buffalo 4: Mike Comrie scored twice and had two assists in his Islanders debut.
* Washington 3, at Atlanta 1: Michael Nylander and John Erskine scored goals during a two-minute span in the first period.
* at Dallas 4, Boston 1: The Stars' Mike Modano got career point No. 1,227, five shy of matching Phil Housley for the most by an American-born player.
* San Jose 3, at Vancouver 1: Jeremy Roenick scored twice -- the 496th and 497th goals of his career.
* at Columbus 4, Ducks 0: The Ducks didn't get their first shot on goal until more than 16 minutes had elapsed.