And in a move that USC fans can probably stomach better because of the success Floyd has brought to USC, Rick Majerus, who reneged on a deal to coach the Trojans in 2004, has returned to the bench in St. Louis.
Other than which team will win the NCAA title, there might be no bigger question than this: Can another freshman on a whistle-stop trip to the NBA become the national player of the year?
He probably would have to leap such players as Hansbrough, Hibbert, Budinger, Tennessee's Chris Lofton and Kansas' Rush to do it.
But Durant proved it can be done, and things change quickly in the college game now.
Remember, it was only 2003 that UCLA finished 10-19 in Steve Lavin's final year, and the Bruins won only one more game than that in Ben Howland's first season. Now they've played in consecutive Final Fours and are odds-on for a third.
It has been the same story at North Carolina, which finished 8-20 in 2002 under Matt Doherty, but already has won a national championship under Roy Williams, in 2005.
Whoever lifts the trophy in San Antonio, take a long look.
Florida's band of brothers might be the last bunch for a long time willing to give us a second glance.
Begin text of infobox
10 BEST Things about college basketball
1. March -- never mind that the Final Four is always in April now.
2. The moment before the ball is tossed up on Monday night.
3. John Wooden signing autographs from his seat in the stands before UCLA games.
4. Ask Billy Donovan. The Florida coach reneged on a $27.5-million NBA contract to stay in Gainesville.
5. The annual discovery of Who Are You U -- a Valparaiso, a George Mason, or how about Davidson, the school that does students' laundry for free?
6. Trying to predict how good O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love will be.
7. Stanford's Sixth Man Club in its heyday, and the Cameron Crazies when they're not too crude.
8. Camping out for tickets -- when it isn't you doing it.
9. Generations later, USC has a beautiful arena.
10. Duke-Carolina. Imagine if USC-UCLA were ever like that.
10 WORST Things about college basketball
1. "Sophomores" Kevin Durant, Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr. are cashing NBA checks.
2. Too much media focus on coaches. Let's get to know the players.
3. The college basketball season starts, um, when exactly?
4. The trip home for the loser of the NCAA tournament play-in game.
5. Major-conference teams that won't ever play a nonconference game on a lesser opponent's court.
6. Billy Packer, when he's absolutely convinced he's right.
7. The Pacific 10 tournament always being in Los Angeles. Convenience aside, it's simply unfair.
8. Coaches who say they want to clean up amateur basketball but won't freeze out runners and middlemen.
9. Mega-conferences and unbalanced league schedules.
10. Flopping instead of taking a legitimate charge.
-- Robyn Norwood