Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

IN BRIEF | The State | VALLEJO

Electrical fire kills giraffe at Six Flags park

September 06, 2007|From Times Staff and Wire Reports

A 2-year-old giraffe died Wednesday morning in a barn fire at an amusement park that authorities have blamed on a faulty electrical outlet.

The giraffe, Makonnen, succumbed to smoke inhalation shortly after the 2 a.m. blaze at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, park spokeswoman Nancy Chan said.

Firefighters brought the flames under control within half an hour, Vallejo Fire Department spokesman Bill Tweedy said. The park's two female giraffes, ages 2 and 17, had access to an outside yard and escaped injury.

Makonnen, the park's lone male, lived in an indoor stall with no access to the yard.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|