Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Nation in Brief / LOUISIANA

Prosecutor won't fight 'Jena 6' ruling

September 27, 2007|From Times Wire Reports

Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said in Baton Rouge that the prosecutor in one of the so-called "Jena Six" cases had decided not to challenge an appellate ruling that sends the case to juvenile court.

LaSalle Parish Dist. Atty. Reed Walters had earlier said he would appeal the state appeals court's decision that 17-year-old Mychal Bell's second-degree battery conviction be set aside. The court ruled that Bell could not be tried as an adult.

Blanco said Walters contacted her to say he had decided not to appeal the ruling.

From Times Wire Reports

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|