"Anyone 3.5 [GPA] and up was on upper Director's Honor Roll," Morrison said. "If there is an asterisk next to the name, it meant the student has a 4.0. I kept seeing asterisk after asterisk next to Chris' name. So I arranged a meeting. . . .
"I told Chris it is somewhat of a long shot. But even going through the process, the Rolodex he'll build up meeting various people will be good for him."
Getting a scholarship can mean even more, as Haden can attest.
"I made friends from Germany, Scotland, Africa, England," Haden said of his experience. "I was an American taking American politics from a South African. That is a unique experience."
One that Joseph said "seems so impressive, yet so daunting."
(BEGIN TEXT OF INFOBOX)
Athletes from USC and UCLA who have earned a Rhodes scholarship:
* James O'Toole, track and field, 1966
* Pat Haden, football, 1975
* Desmond Koh, swimmer, 1995
* Reed Doucette, basketball, 2007
* John Olmsted, tennis, 1925
* William Zeltonoga, wrestling, 1962
* Harold Griffin, football, 1969
* Annette Salmeen, swimming, 1997
Source: USC and UCLA sports information departments