Advertisement
 

Guerrillas attack towns in southern Philippines

THE WORLD

The Moro Islamic Liberation Front kills more than a dozen people, military says.

August 18, 2008|Al Jacinto | Special to The Times

ZAMBOANGA CITY, PHILIPPINES — More than a dozen people were killed today as hundreds of Moro Islamic Liberation Front rebels attacked several towns in the southern Philippines, the military and witnesses said.

Gunmen in Lanao del Norte occupied the towns of Kolambugan, Maigo and Kauswagan, and were reportedly fighting in Tubod.

Attacks also were reported in the neighboring provinces of Sarangani and Sultan Kudarat, where an unknown number of civilians were killed or wounded.

One commuter bus was ambushed at a rebel checkpoint near Kolambugan town and at least 14 passengers were shot, witnesses said.

"They were mercilessly gunned down. They were executed as they pleaded for their lives," said Antonio Aurilla, who told a radio station here that he and three others escaped the carnage.

One soldier, identified as Cpl. Borlado by the radio station, said troops had recovered three more corpses, people who had apparently been shot, at a bridge in Kolambugan town.

He said at least two soldiers from his team were wounded fighting rebels in the town.

"There is fighting in the areas, and we are trying to drive away the rebels," said Army Brig. Gen. Hilario Atendido, commander of a military task force.

The highway connecting Lanao del Norte to other provinces was already occupied by rebels. Tens of thousands of civilians have fled their homes for fear they would be caught in the crossfire.

Witnesses said rebels set fire to some buildings in the occupied towns.

The militant group, which is trying to negotiate a peace deal with President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo's government, said the attacks were carried out by rebels disgruntled over the slow pace of the talks and the failure of both sides to sign an agreement setting up a Muslim homeland in the south.

Eid Kabalu, a senior rebel leader, said commanders were trying to contact a local commander.

"This fighting should stop. We don't want the fighting to spread to other areas," he said.

Peace negotiators last month reached a deal on the Muslim domain, but the Supreme Court stopped the formal signing of the accord last week after politicians filed a petition opposing it.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|