* When: The 14-day tournament begins today. The women's singles final is Sept. 6 at 6 p.m. PDT; the men's singles final is Sept. 7 at 1 p.m. PDT.
* 2007 men's singles champion: Roger Federer of Switzerland.
* 2007 women's singles champion: Justine Henin of Belgium.
* Top-seeded man: Rafael Nadal enters the Open ranked No. 1, having taken over the spot Federer held for more than four years. Fresh off winning a gold medal in singles at the Beijing Olympics, the Spaniard has two Grand Slam tournament titles this year, beating Federer in the finals at the French Open and Wimbledon.
* Top-seeded woman: Ana Ivanovic defeated Dinara Safina in the French Open final for her first major championship. But the 21-year-old Serbian lost in the third round at Wimbledon and pulled out of the Olympics because of inflammation in her right hand, a problem that prevented her from practicing last month.
* Prize money: Men's and women's singles champions receive $1.5 million each.
* TV coverage: Channel 2, USA Network.
From the Associated Press