Rudy Seanez will begin spring training on the Dodgers' 40-man roster, unlike a year ago, when he went to camp with a minor league contract.
But the 39-year old right-hander will again have to earn his spot on the team.
Seanez re-signed with the Dodgers on Monday, agreeing to a non-guaranteed major league contract with a base salary of $550,000.
Incentives could push the value of the contract up to $1.3 million.
"It's nothing new to me," Seanez said. "I'm used to it. All of my contracts have been like that. None of my stuff's ever easy."
Seanez was one of the Dodgers' pleasant surprises last season, pitching in a career-high 73 games and posting a 6-3 record with a 3.79 earned-run average. Of the $1.2 million he made, $500,000 came from incentives.
"He pitched well for us out of the 'pen last year," Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti said. "Outside of a few appearances, he was very dependable and outstanding."
Until a rough six-appearance stretch from July 17 to 24, Seanez had an ERA of 2.98. That number inflated to 4.31, as he gave up nine runs over 5 2/3 innings.
Seanez's new deal calls for a $150,000 bonus for making the club's opening-day roster. He will collect $75,000 for pitching in his 45th game, another $100,000 for his 50th, $125,000 for his 55th and $150,000 for both his 60th and 65th.
Seanez, who broke into the major leagues with the Cleveland Indians in 1989, trained this winter like he did his last, combining weightlifting and mixed martial arts.
The re-signing of Seanez didn't address the Dodgers' need for a left-handed reliever, a role that Colletti said could be filled by Eric Stults, Hong-Chih Kuo, prospect Greg Miller, or non-roster camp invitees Tom Martin and Mike Myers.
The Dodgers could also add an experienced left-handed bat off the bench before the start of spring training.
They remain in discussions with free agent Mark Sweeney and have been in contact with Tony Clark.