Servings: Makes about 1 quart
Note: From Blue Velvet
4 ounces goat cheese
3 tablespoons corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the goat cheese and corn syrup until combined and smooth. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat. While the cream mixture is coming to a boil, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. Whisk one-fourth of the hot cream mixture into the eggs to temper them. Whisk in another quarter of the cream mixture, and then add the egg mixture to the cream in the saucepan. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cream mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Be careful not to overcook, or to cook at too high a heat, or the eggs will scramble. Immediately remove from the heat and strain, using a fine-mesh strainer, into a bowl set over a larger bowl of ice water.
4. Add the goat cheese mixture to the bowl and stir to combine, allowing the entire mixture to cool.
5. Freeze the goat cheese base in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. This will keep for 1 week frozen.
Each one-fourth cup: 199 calories; 3 grams protein; 17 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 14 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 100 mg. cholesterol; 47 mg. sodium.