* at San Francisco 2, Chicago 1: Matt Cain (5-6) struck out 10 in eight shutout innings and third baseman Jose Castillo made a diving stop in the eighth to save a hit. Fred Lewis stole home and scored both runs.
* New York 7, at St. Louis 4: Tony Armas won his season debut after a minor league callup and eighth-place hitter Ramon Castro had two hits and three RBIs. David Wright hit his 16th homer and lacked a triple for the cycle.
* Washington 9, at Florida 6: Collin Balester became the first Nationals starter to win his big league debut and Ronnie Belliard hit a grand slam. Balester gave up one hit and struck out three in five innings.
* Milwaukee 8, at Arizona 6: J.J. Hardy homered twice and the Brewers handed Randy Johnson (4-7) his sixth straight loss. Johnson gave up seven runs and eight hits in 3 2/3 innings, his shortest start of the season.
* at Colorado 4, San Diego 0: Aaron Cook (11-5) tossed a five-hitter for his first shutout and the Rockies ended an eight-game losing streak. Cook (11-5) needed only 79 pitches in the 1-hour 58-minute game.
* Pittsburgh 6, at Cincinnati 5 (11 innings): The Pirates blew two more late leads, but Jack Wilson -- batting last -- hit a tiebreaking triple in the 11th inning that set up a victory. Nate McLouth followed with a single.
* Philadelphia 8, at Atlanta 3: The Phillies improved to 6-1 against the Braves this season.
* Dodgers 7, at Houston 6 (11 innings): The Dodgers beat the Astros for the first time in five meetings.