Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Angels expect to bid on Teixeira soon

November 05, 2008|Bill Shaikin and Dylan Hernandez | Shaikin and Hernandez are Times staff writers.

The Angels started and finished negotiations with Vladimir Guerrero within 48 hours. They did the outline of a deal with Torii Hunter at Del Taco.

But neither of those players was represented by Scott Boras. Mark Teixeira is, so the Angels have not made a first and best offer before Boras can discuss the first baseman with other teams.

The Angels have identified retaining Teixeira and signing pitcher CC Sabathia as their top priorities in free agency. General Manager Tony Reagins would not say whether the Angels could afford both players, at a combined total that could top $200 million.

The Angels are not believed to have made an offer to Sabathia, who isn't a Boras client.

Reagins said he has spoken with Boras but has no meeting set with him at this week's meeting of general managers in Dana Point. Reagins said he has not made an offer to Teixeira but said the Angels might submit a bid and ask for a prompt response "over the course of the next couple of weeks."

Said Reagins: "There will come a time when we have to know one way or the other."

Boras said he plans to meet with Teixeira to let him know which teams besides the Angels expressed interest. That list is expected to be headed by the New York Yankees and could include the Boston Red Sox, Baltimore Orioles, San Francisco Giants and Washington Nationals.

"We're not going to be negotiating with as many teams as are interested. That's for sure," said Boras, who declined to say how many teams had inquired about Teixeira.

Furcal's future

A short meeting with Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti left Rafael Furcal's agent with the impression that his client would be forced to explore the free-agent market.

Though Paul Kinzer said that Furcal's value shouldn't be affected by his surgically repaired back because he has been medically cleared by the doctor who performed the midseason operation, he was told that Dodgers owner Frank McCourt doesn't share the same thoughts.

"It's no secret that they've had a lot of injuries in the last few years," Kinzer said.

Kinzer said the Dodgers remain Furcal's top choice and that Colletti told him he wants the shortstop back. Kinzer said last month that Furcal would be open to re-signing with the Dodgers without fielding other offers, but that no longer is the case. Seven other teams have expressed an interest in Furcal, including the Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants and Toronto Blue Jays.

"This could take a little while," Kinzer said.

Furcal, 31, is believed to be looking for at least a four-year contract, as Kinzer said he wants a deal that would run to the end of his career.

Short hops

Colletti said he scheduled a meeting with Boras to discuss the futures of Manny Ramirez and Derek Lowe. . . . Reports stating that the Dodgers are looking to trade catcher Russell Martin or move him to third base are untrue, Colletti said. . . . The 2009 option for backup catcher Gary Bennett was declined by the Dodgers, who bought out the second year of his two-year contract for $50,000. The option was for $900,000. . . . The Dodgers must decide by today whether to pick up Brad Penny's $9.25-million option for 2009. The option includes a $2-million buyout. . . . Spotted at the hotel with associates of Boras was All-Star outfielder Matt Holliday, who is reportedly being shopped by the Colorado Rockies.

--

bill.shaikin@latimes.com

dylan.hernandez@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|