Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

CLIPPERS FYI

Livingston gets two-year Heat deal

October 04, 2008|Lisa Dillman | Times Staff Writer

What was called a dead issue morphed into a new point guard for Miami a few days later, with the Heat adding former Clipper Shaun Livingston.

The Heat on Friday signed the 23-year-old free agent, who is recovering from a serious left knee injury, to a two-year deal. This officially closed the book on Livingston's Clipper career. Never mind that it had barely stayed open after the Clippers offered him a two-year deal in the summer -- the first year guaranteed -- before turning to Jason Williams.

Clippers Coach Mike Dunleavy said that the ball was in Livingston's court, and even though Williams retired, the organization did not make another offer. Instead, the team remained an interested observer with Livingston talking to Portland, Minnesota and Miami.

"The thought process was there that we know what his potential is and that it was worth it to guarantee a minimum contract for the year and find that out," Dunleavy said earlier this week.

But it seemed a matter of time before the 6-foot-7 Livingston joined Dwyane Wade in the backcourt despite Heat President Pat Riley calling Livingston's signing "a dead issue" just days ago.

Livingston injured his knee with the Clippers on Feb. 27, 2007 -- tearing three ligaments and dislocating his kneecap -- and hasn't played since then.

"I'm anxious to prove and show what I can do," Livingston told Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I feel like I have a lot to prove, not just from being healthy, but also performance-based. I feel like I can be a lead guard, with no disrespect to any of the guards down here."

Camby Man

On Monday, the Clippers' Marcus Camby acknowledged he was still bitter about the way the Denver Nuggets treated him in sending him to Los Angeles for next to nothing.

And he hasn't been able to practice since Tuesday night. The Clippers said he has been suffering from flu-like symptoms, and he will miss the open scrimmage tonight at Camp Pendleton and may not be back on Sunday either.

Baron Davis said he has been texting Camby but didn't want to comment in depth. Dunleavy went a step beyond that and said he sent Camby a DVD of a team practice this week. The good news is Camby apparently texted back, saying he watched the DVD.

A bit of a rest

Dunleavy had center Chris Kaman and guard Cuttino Mobley skip Friday's morning practice, giving them a needed break. They were both scheduled to take part in the evening scrimmage. Kaman has been troubled by plantar fasciitis.

--

lisa.dillman@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|