Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

California Briefing / CHATSWORTH

Sesnon fire completely contained

October 19, 2008|Anna Gorman; Andrew Blankstein; Molly Hennessy-Fiske

Fire officials reported full containment Saturday of the massive Sesnon fire in the San Fernando Valley, which broke out Monday.

The blaze blackened 14,703 acres, destroyed 15 homes and dozens of outbuildings and may have contributed to a car crash on the 118 Freeway that killed a motorist. More than 2,100 firefighters battled the blaze at its height. A smaller number continued to douse hot spots Saturday.

"We're not going to leave there until we are sure it's out," said Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Greg Cleveland.

Cleveland said air crews would be available if Santa Ana winds resumed early this week.

The Sesnon fire, which officials have said was sparked by a downed power line, was one of two in the Valley last week. On Friday, officials said the apparent cause of the 4,824-acre Marek fire in the Lake View Terrace area was "vehicle-related."

-- Anna Gorman,Andrew Blankstein and Molly Hennessy-Fiske

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|