Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFixme

California Briefing / LOS ANGELES

Delay sought in release of files

September 17, 2008|Victoria Kim

An attorney representing clergy members accused of sexual abuse asked a Los Angeles court this week to push back the handover of personnel records agreed to last year in the Diocese of San Diego's settlement with victims.

Attorney Robert Jassoy filed an application with the court Monday, requesting a 60-day stay while he prepares to file papers in appellate court challenging an order compelling the diocese to turn over the documents. The delay is needed "to prevent irreparable injury and protect the individuals' interests," Jassoy wrote in the filing.

Jassoy represents seven of the more than 60 priests accused of abuse in the Diocese of San Diego and San Bernardino, which last year reached a $198.1-million settlement with 144 victims. Jassoy's clients include Msgr. Rudolph Galindo, whom plaintiff's attorneys said has been sued by at least seven victims. Plaintiff's attorneys have said the release of the documents would show how church officials handled molestation complaints and would prevent future abuse.

-- Victoria Kim

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|