Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFixme

Assemblyman changes mind, asks governor to stop sale of O.C. Fairgrounds

Jose Solorio had voted to put the property up for bid, but says a public hearing he held in Costa Mesa raised serious concerns that convinced him the process should be halted.

December 03, 2009|By Tony Barboza

An Orange County assemblyman has joined other local politicians who have changed their minds about selling the Orange County Fairgrounds to help balance the state budget.

In a letter Wednesday to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Assemblyman Jose Solorio (D-Santa Ana) said that although he had voted for the July bill that authorized the state to sell the fairgrounds, a public hearing he held last month in Costa Mesa with fellow Assemblyman Van Tran (R-Garden Grove) raised serious concerns that convinced him it should be halted.

"The process for carrying out this sale has been tainted by misinformation, misrepresentations, conflicts of interests, questionable legal and ethical activities and a potential constitutional barrier regarding the sale of the property," Solorio wrote.

He also introduced legislation Wednesday that would repeal the law that prompted the sale. The state had set a bidding deadline of Jan. 8.

tony.barboza@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|