(Bob Chamberlin / Los Angeles…)
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes plus cooling and chilling times
Servings: Makes about 3 dozen cookies
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 3/4 cups (11.7 ounces) flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup chopped candied orange or lemon peel
1/2 cup chopped almonds plus blanched half almonds (whole almonds halved lengthwise) for garnish, divided
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. In a small saucepan, bring the honey and molasses to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cooled honey and molasses mixture with the brown sugar, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg. Stir the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture until thoroughly incorporated, then stir in the chopped candied peel and nuts.
4. Cover the dough and refrigerate overnight.
5. Just before baking, heat the oven to 400 degrees. Make the glaze for the cookies: In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup over high heat until a thermometer inserted reads 230 degrees. Quickly stir in the powdered sugar and remove from heat. Set the glaze aside in a warm place.
6. Roll the chilled dough on a floured surface to a thickness of one-fourth inch. Cut the dough into rectangles approximately 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
7. Place the cookies at least 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet. Place 1 half almond (split side down) in the center of each cookie, then bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Brush the cookies with a thin coating of the warm glaze, then cool the cookies on a rack. Store the cookies in an airtight container for a week to mellow the flavors.
Each of 36 cookies: 118 calories; 1 gram protein; 27 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 1 gram fat; 0 saturated fat; 6 mg. cholesterol; 18 grams sugar; 24 mg. sodium.