YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Suspect in George Tiller's slaying reportedly belonged to anti-government militia

Scott Roeder, who is being held in the shooting death of Tiller, a Wichita abortion doctor, is said to be a member of militia groups. He also reportedly discussed violence against abortion providers.

June 02, 2009|Nicholas Riccardi

WICHITA, KAN. — The 51-year-old man held on suspicion of killing prominent abortion provider Dr. George Tiller belonged to anti-government militia groups, had been convicted of carrying explosives in his car and was outraged by the doctor's speedy acquittal on abortion-related charges, authorities and antiabortion activists said Monday.

Scott Roeder had attended a demonstration outside a Kansas City, Kan., abortion clinic two weeks ago and spoke of traveling to Wichita for Tiller's trial, said longtime antiabortion activist Eugene Frye.

Authorities and friends described Roeder as a soft-spoken but intense man who held low-paying jobs and normally spent his time chatting about the illegality of the federal income tax or esoteric interpretations of the Old Testament.

But Frye said he noticed a difference on May 16.

"He said he'd been down to Wichita for George Tiller's trial, and he said it was an absolute sham," Frye said. "He seemed agitated -- but agitation for Scott, for a lot of people would be normal."

For The Record
Los Angeles Times Wednesday, June 03, 2009 Home Edition Main News Part A Page 4 National Desk 1 inches; 31 words Type of Material: Correction
Abortion activist: An article in Tuesday's Section A about Scott Roeder, the suspect in the killing of an abortion provider in Kansas, referred to abortion protester Richard Schilling as Robert Schilling.

An investigation spurred by former Kansas Atty. Gen. Phill Kline, a strong abortion foe, led to charges that Tiller failed to consult with an independent physician, as required by state law, before performing late-term abortions in his Wichita clinic. Antiabortion activists recall seeing Roeder in the courtroom. On March 27, the jury took less than an hour to find Tiller not guilty.

One of the last doctors in the country to perform late-term abortions, Tiller, 67, was shot to death in the foyer of his Wichita church Sunday.

Three hours later, authorities stopped a 1993 Ford Taurus matching the description of the shooter's outside Kansas City and arrested Roeder. According to media reports from the scene, there was a lone rose in the rear window, a marker of the antiabortion movement.

He is being held without bail in Wichita by the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Department.

Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. sent U.S. marshals to protect various abortion providers nationwide from copycat attacks. Federal authorities, echoing police, said they thought Tiller's killer acted alone.

For nearly 20 years, Tiller had been a lightning-rod in the abortion debates for his insistence on performing abortions into the ninth month of pregnancy. He said he was trying to save mothers' lives or terminate pregnancies that would have led to the birth of deformed children who never could have survived.

Tiller's clinic sits along a frontage road of a state highway and is normally the site of daily protests. It was closed Monday, and bouquets of flowers lay against its fence, along with a sign from one of the groups that leads demonstrations there, Kansans For Life: "We prayed for his conversion to the prolife viewpoint, not for his murder."

Most foes of abortion rights have condemned the slaying, but some were heartened. "If anybody needed killing, George Tiller needed killing," said Kansas City antiabortion activist Regina Dinwiddie. "The gut reaction from everybody who doesn't have their thoughts filtered by fear is 'Yahoo!' "

Dinwiddie said she met Roeder at pickets outside a Kansas City clinic in the mid-1990s. Roeder walked inside the clinic and asked for the doctor, who came to the front desk. Roeder looked him over and said, "Good, now I've seen you," and walked out, she said.

"I said, 'Scott, you can get in a lot of trouble for that, you'd better get out of here,' " Dinwiddie recalled.

Roeder remained an occasional participant in the weekly pickets. Frye, who has helped organize antiabortion pickets for 25 years, said Roeder never discussed violence.

Others, however, had long feared Roeder could be dangerous. He was stopped by Kansas authorities in 1996 for driving with an illegal license plate that said "Sovereign private property." The deputies found he had no driver's license and was carrying explosives in his car. He was convicted of one count of criminal use of explosives.

He was sentenced to 24 months of intensive probation, requiring him to disassociate himself from violent anti-government groups and visit his probation officer daily.

He went to state prison after violating that probation, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal. An appellate court voided his initial conviction, ruling police improperly searched his car.

Suzanne James, who was then the director of victim's services for the Shawnee County District Attorney's Office and tracked militia groups in Kansas, attended some of Roeder's court hearings.

"I found him to be very intense," she said. "Some of these guys had that John Brown look in their eyes. You developed an instinct for the ones who could be dangerous based on that intensity."

Roeder's ex-wife, Lindsey Roeder, said her husband became obsessed with anti-government theories and abortion in the early '90s and that it poisoned their 10-year marriage. The couple had one son and Lindsey Roeder told reporters Monday she insisted on custody because she feared for the child's safety.

Los Angeles Times Articles