YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Hundreds of thousands in Iran protest vote result

The supreme leader orders the hard-line Guardian Council to examine challenger Mir-Hossein Mousavi's claims of fraud in the vote reelecting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Seven protesters are killed.

June 16, 2009|Borzou Daragahi and Ramin Mostaghim

TEHRAN — Hundreds of thousands of Iranian protesters defied authorities Monday and marched to Tehran's Freedom Square, as the Islamic Republic's supreme leader ordered an investigation into allegations of vote fraud, a move the opposition described as little more than an attempt to dampen anger over the reelection of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, ordered the Guardian Council, which is filled with his own appointees and led by a hard-line cleric close to Ahmadinejad, to examine challenger Mir-Hossein Mousavi's claims of vote fraud. Khamenei's order came hours before the march, amid a days-long buildup of tension.

Days after Khamenei blessed the election of Ahmadinejad and urged Iranians to rally behind the president, the spokesman of the Guardian Council urged Mousavi's supporters to wait for the "final results" of Friday's election until after the fraud investigation, which will begin today.

"My request to the dear candidates and their supporters, who are trying to voice their objections while respecting the law and ethics, is to bear with us," council spokesman Abbas-Ali Kadkhodai said in a live round-table discussion on television Monday night. "We will investigate and announce the result. The final result will be the one announced by the Guardian Council, which everyone should hopefully accept."

His call for patience came as gunfire from a pro-government militia base adjacent to the demonstration killed one person and injured others, news agencies reported. State radio announced today that seven people were killed after trying to "attack a military site," in reference to a clash between semiofficial pro-government militiamen and protesters after the demonstration.

The crowd -- estimates of which ranged to more than 1 million -- defied Interior Ministry warnings broadcast on state television and radio that anyone showing up would be beaten or worse, and even ignored Mousavi's last-minute call to cancel the event.

The protesters found out about the rally despite a media clampdown that brought the shuttering of numerous opposition websites, including those linked to Mousavi, the jamming of satellite news channels and the shutdown of text messaging systems.

In an attempt to help keep information flowing, a Twitter co-founder wrote in a blog Monday that the company had delayed an important maintenance operation.

Pro-Ahmadinejad demonstrators hurled eggs at the French Embassy on Monday, attempting to link the West to the unrest surrounding the election results.

President Obama said his administration would continue to seek to negotiate with Iran's leaders.

"I am deeply troubled by the violence that I've been seeing on television," Obama said in Washington. "I can't state definitively one way or another what happened with respect to the election. But what I can say is that there appears to be a sense on the part of people who were so hopeful and so engaged and so committed to democracy who now feel betrayed."

Khamenei has for years tried to put his own religious ultraconservative faction in charge of all branches of government. He marginalized not only the nation's secularists but reformist and pragmatist leaders who were pillars of the Islamic Revolution, risking a backlash by barring huge swaths of people from political power.

There were few signs that the unrest would let up. In the crowd, people passed information about another gathering today in Vali Asr Square, in central Tehran. Mousavi supporters also called for a general strike today.

The massive, diverse gathering refuted the charge by Ahmadinejad supporters and some Western analysts that Mousavi's support was drawn from the wealthy and educated in northern Tehran.

In the crowd, women in flowing black chadors mingled with factory owners. College students wearing headbands and ribbons of green, the color of the Mousavi campaign, walked side by side next to government employees with salt-and-pepper hair. Bazaar laborers in black T-shirts and motorcycle deliverymen with grime on their fingers waved their hands in the air alongside elegantly coiffed women sporting designer sunglasses.

They came tentatively at first, worried that security forces would crack down harshly. Authorities shut down the cellphone network in the area.

As demonstrators arrived, they called friends and relatives from pay phones to drive to nearby streets, park and join the gathering.

"I am fed up with the rigging of votes," said Nargess Hassanpour, a 24-year-old architect. "I had never voted until last Friday. I am here and I march toward Azadi [Freedom] Square as far as I can reach, and let come what may."

From adjacent office buildings, supporters waved and cheered, holding up pictures of Mousavi, as passing cars, taxis and minibus drivers honked in support.

Los Angeles Times Articles