Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Wave of shootings leave at least 6 dead in L.A. County

March 30, 2009|Joel Rubin

The shooting deaths of a woman and two men in Compton on Sunday night capped a spate of weekend gun violence in Los Angeles County that left at least six people dead and four others injured, police said.

The Compton shooting occurred about 8:25 p.m. Sunday in the 1200 block of East Rosecrans Avenue, Los Angeles County Sheriff's officials said as investigators worked the crime scene late Sunday night. Victims' names and other details were not immediately available.

A series of shootings spanning an eight-hour period earlier in the weekend claimed at least three other lives.

In South Los Angeles, about 8:20 p.m. Saturday an unknown attacker approached an 18-year-old man in the 2700 block of Naomi Avenue and shot him several times, said Sgt. Rick Arteaga of the Los Angeles Police Department's Newton station. The man died at a local hospital. Arteaga said the shooting was gang-related.

Just off of the Santa Monica Freeway about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, several young men were cruising the 2600 block of Garth Avenue in a silver Honda Civic, said Officer Rosario Herrera. One of them fired a gun at people attending a party on the block, hitting a 19-year-old man. The man was taken to a hospital in stable condition, and his name was unknown, Herrera said.

At 1:20 a.m., gunfire in the 1400 block of 43rd Street in South Los Angeles wounded a 21-year-old man. The man, whose name was withheld, was taken to a hospital in stable condition, Herrera said.

Shortly before 4 a.m., two men in a bar in the 2000 block of West Manchester Boulevard were arguing when one shot and killed the other, Herrera said. Police did not release the name of the dead man, pending notification of his family. The shooter fled.

Elsewhere in the county, a 19-year-old man was approaching a house on Jersey Avenue in Santa Fe Springs about 9:30 p.m. Saturday when an attacker shot him five times in the back at close range, said Lt. Carlos Solorza of the Whittier Police Department. The man, whose name was withheld, underwent surgery. It was unknown whether he survived, Solorza said.

In the unincorporated community of Florence, bordering South Los Angeles, a man was shot to death about 1:15 a.m. Sunday as he and a friend walked along the 1100 block of 59th Street.

Police said two men driving a white compact pickup truck pulled alongside the pair.

One of the men in the truck asked, "Where are you from?" and opened fire, according to Sheriff's Deputy Oscar Butao. The victim, whose name was withheld, died at a hospital, Butao said.

--

joel.rubin@latimes.com

Times staff writer Kim Christensen contributed to this report.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|