Advertisement

SOCCER

Galaxy again lends David Beckham to AC Milan

Agreement is finalized as he has hopes of earning a place on England's roster for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

November 03, 2009|Grahame L. Jones

David Beckham is assured of spending the winter and spring playing in Italy after the Galaxy and AC Milan on Monday finalized an agreement that will send him on loan again to the Serie A club.

Beckham, 34, spent the first five months of this year with Milan and wanted to repeat the experience to earn a place on England's roster for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"I need to give myself the best chance possible to make the World Cup squad, and playing for Milan on loan will help me do that," Beckham said in a statement. There was no indication of whether Beckham, who earns $6.5 million a year from the Galaxy, would be paying any of the costs himself, as he did this year when he extended his stay with Milan. Attempts on Monday to reach Tim Leiweke, chief executive of AEG, which owns the Galaxy, were unsuccessful.

"Beckham will officially join AC Milan on Dec. 28," the Galaxy said, adding that he would remain with the seven-time European champion until the end of the Italian season May 16. After that, if he is selected, he would be with England's national team as it prepares for and then plays in the June 11-July 11 World Cup. Because players are guaranteed a post-tournament break, it could be late July before Beckham returns to Los Angeles.

The midfielder, who has helped the Galaxy reach the playoffs for the first time in four years, will stay with the MLS club through the end of the season and will also play for it on its two-game exhibition swing through Germany.

Beckham received a hostile reception from Galaxy fans when he returned from Italy in July, but his play since then has won back the fans. The latest the Galaxy season will extend is the Nov. 22 MLS Cup final.

--

grahame.jones@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|