Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsDodgers

BASEBALL

Bud Selig still isn't worried about the Dodgers

Commissioner won't discuss what the future might hold given the McCourts' divorce proceedings but says team is 'in good hands.'

November 18, 2009|By Bill Shaikin

Reporting from Chicago — Commissioner Bud Selig said the Dodgers were "in good hands" for now but refused to offer assurances to fans worried that the McCourt divorce saga could compromise the future of the club.

Baseball's owners held their quarterly meetings here today, with Jamie McCourt absent from sessions she had attended regularly.

Frank McCourt last month fired his estranged wife as chief executive, and she cannot continue to serve on ownership committees so long as she is not involved in club management, said a high-ranking baseball official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of pending legal proceedings.

Baseball officials are reluctant to comment publicly before a court takes up the issue of whether Frank McCourt is the sole owner of the Dodgers or Jamie McCourt is a co-owner.

"The Dodgers are in good hands," Selig said, "with [General Manager] Ned Colletti and [Manager] Joe Torre and Frank McCourt as the control person."

The divorce proceedings are not expected to affect the Dodgers' off-season spending. The Dodgers had not planned to raise their payroll this winter even before the McCourts announced their separation.

But Selig sidestepped the question of what he would say to fans concerned that the Dodgers' long-term future could echo the San Diego Padres' recent history -- an ownership divorce, followed by a sale, management turnover, payroll cuts and the cost-driven departure of popular players.

"There's no reason to get into any debate about what's going to happen," Selig said. "The Dodgers will be in Los Angeles for as long as we're alive and for many generations to come."

bill.shaikin@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|