YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


Edison defeats Mater Dei in double overtime, 36-29

Luke Gane makes the big defensive play for unbeaten Chargers.

October 02, 2009|Eric Sondheimer

As far as drama and excitement go, high school football games don't get much better than what transpired Thursday night at Santa Ana Stadium, where No. 3-ranked Huntington Beach Edison pulled out a 36-29 victory over No. 14 Santa Ana Mater Dei in double overtime.

Edison defensive lineman Luke Gane burst through the middle on fourth and one from the five-yard line to drop Mater Dei's Jordan Allen for a one-yard loss, ending the game and enabling the Chargers to improve to 5-0 and knock off their second consecutive Catholic school power after beating Anaheim Servite last week.

Edison had taken the lead in the second overtime when quarterback Matt Viles ran seven yards for a touchdown. But it was defense that saved the Chargers.

Defensive back Luke Eddy contributed two huge plays for Edison. He stripped the ball in the fourth quarter from Mater Dei receiver Sedric Hill, and Jeff Trojan returned it 47 yards, setting up an eight-yard touchdown reception by Dylan Leener to give Edison its first lead of the game at 29-26.

And Eddy blocked a 26-yard field-goal attempt by Zac Chocek with 1:12 left in regulation to preserve a 29-29 tie.

Mater Dei (3-2) had its own defensive hero in senior cornerback Matthew Billeci, who returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter and came up with a second interception in the end zone in the first overtime.

For Edison, Viles completed 26 of 39 passes for 254 yards and three touchdowns with three interceptions. Wade Houston rushed for 104 yards in 27 carries and scored one touchdown. Junior receiver Victor Blackwell was the key Mater Dei offensive weapon, catching four passes for 138 yards and one touchdown, a 57-yarder. He also caught a 68-yard pass. Corbin Anderson rushed for 141 yards in 14 carries.

The Monarchs made three of five field-goal tries, from 22, 22 and 23 yards.

Clearly, the absence of Stanford-bound linebacker Jordan Zumwalt affected the Chargers. He could be sidelined for four weeks or longer because of a broken bone in his left hand. He played last week against Servite with the hand protected by a cast, but he was in pain and the doctor decided to shut him down.


Los Angeles Times Articles