Advertisement

World Briefing

Russia

Bolshoi project sparks inquiry

September 15, 2009|Times Wire Reports

Russia's top investigative body said that millions of dollars have been misspent in the reconstruction of the renowned Bolshoi Theater.

The Investigative Committee of the General Prosecutor's Office said it had opened a criminal investigation. The project, years behind schedule, has kept the popular attraction closed for four years.

The committee said the Kurortproekt company, contracted to plan the reconstruction, had been paid three times for the same work -- a total of nearly $16 million. No charges were announced in the statement, and the Bolshoi denied any wrongdoing.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|