Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

California Briefing / Los Angeles

Official quits amid rape probe

September 16, 2009|Andrew Blankstein

A top Los Angeles city official under police investigation for allegedly raping a woman at his downtown condominium in July has resigned, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced Tuesday.

Andrew Adelman, general manager of the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety, had been on administrative leave since the allegations became public. Adelman has not been arrested or charged.

In a July 28 search warrant, Los Angeles Police Department investigators said they were told that the alleged victim had gone with friends on a pub-crawl in the downtown area, had several drinks and then blacked out.

The next morning, the victim told police, she awoke and was being sexually assaulted by a man she later identified as Adelman, the affidavit alleges.

Adelman's attorney, Mark Geragos, said the accusations have not been proved and that his client maintains his innocence.

The mayor named Raymond Chan as interim building and safety general manager.

-- Andrew Blankstein

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|