The coming season of CBS' popular "Two and a Half Men" is no longer jeopardized by Charlie Sheen's legal woes.
The comedy star pleaded guilty Monday to misdemeanor assault on his wife, Brooke, during a fight on Christmas Day in Aspen, Colo. In return, prosecutors agreed to drop a felony menacing charge, clearing the way for a rehab stint plus 30 days' probation and anger management classes.
According to the Associated Press, Sheen has 30 days to report to the Promises Treatment Center in Malibu. But he will receive credit for time already spent in rehab, so according to the website TMZ, the actor will check in and then leave almost immediately.
The new season of "Two and a Half Men" is due to start Sept. 20. Both a spokesman for Sheen and a source connected to the show said that shooting would not be affected.
The charges against Sheen arose after his wife told police he had threatened to kill her after she said she wanted a divorce. Sheen acknowledged there had been an argument but denied threatening her.
Ozawa picks up baton again
Acclaimed Japanese conductor Seiji Ozawa plans a comeback concert next month, declaring he has started his "second life" after surgery for esophagus cancer and seven months of treatment.
The 74-year-old Vienna State Opera music director, who was diagnosed with the illness in January, held a practice session with young musicians in the central Japanese city of Matsumoto on Sunday, his office said.
He is scheduled to perform at the Saito Kinen Festival on Sept. 5.
Prison term in First Folio case
An unemployed book dealer who paraded as a wealthy playboy was sentenced Monday to eight years in prison for possessing a stolen first edition of Shakespeare's plays, a rare volume described as a "quintessentially English treasure."
Last month, a jury cleared Raymond Scott, 53, of stealing the First Folio but found him guilty of handling stolen goods and removing stolen property from Britain.
Scott was arrested after he took the 1623 volume to the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., two years ago and asked to have it authenticated. Experts there alerted police, who say the folio was stolen from a display case at Durham University in northern England in 1998.
Scott claimed he had found the volume in Cuba and denied all charges.
Bieber signs memoir deal
He has made fans swoon when they listen to his music. Now teen singing sensation Justin Bieber is hoping to make his fans read — or at least look at lots of pictures.
The 16-year-old pop singer has signed a deal with HarperCollins to publish an illustrated memoir titled "Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever: My Story," the publisher said Monday.
The hardcover book is due out in October in both the United States and the United Kingdom.
'Elektra' builds notable cast
The new production of Sophocles' "Elektra" that opens in September at the Getty Villa will boast some top-notch acting talent in the form of Oscar winner Olympia Dukakis, Tony nominee Manoel Felciano, Pamela Reed and Annie Purcell.
Purcell will play the title role of Elektra, the daughter of King Agamemnon who develops an all-consuming obsession with her dead father. Dukakis, who won a supporting actress Oscar for "Moonstruck," will play the role of the Chorus while Reed will take the part of Elektra's mother and Felciano will portray Elektra's brother.
Directed by Carey Perloff, artistic director of San Francisco's American Conservatory Theatre, "Elektra" will run
at the Getty Villa near Malibu from Sept. 9 to Oct. 2.
Obama draw: "The View" made history last week when President Obama became the first sitting president to be interviewed on a daytime TV show. The Nielsen Co. reported Monday that the broadcast drew the largest ratings in the ABC show's history, with 6.59 million viewers tuning in.