Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

No evidence of poison plot at Ft. Jackson, investigators say

Officials in December opened an inquiry into allegations that five soldiers planned to taint the food supply at the South Carolina Army base, but say they have found nothing incriminating.

February 20, 2010|By David Zucchino

Five soldiers at Ft. Jackson, S.C., have been investigated on suspicion of making threats against fellow service members, but officials have found no substantive evidence of misconduct, U.S. military spokesmen said Friday.

The Christian Broadcasting Network, founded by evangelist Pat Robertson, has reported that soldiers were suspected of plotting to poison the food supply at the Army base. The report said the soldiers were part of an Army translation program that included Arabic speakers.

Army investigators have been conducting an inquiry since December, but "we have not found any credible information to substantiate the allegations," said Christopher Grey, a spokesman for the Army Criminal Investigation Command.

It is unusual for the agency to comment on the preliminary findings of an ongoing investigation.

A statement released by authorities at Ft. Jackson also said no credible evidence had been found to support the allegations.

"At no time was there any danger to the Ft. Jackson community," the statement said.

david.zucchino@ latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|