Dear SOS: On a recent trip to Silicon Valley, we went to breakfast one morning at a restaurant called the Country Gourmet in Sunnyvale. I had the whole wheat pancakes. These were some of the best I have ever had. I make my own whole wheat pancakes, but these were far better. A pleasant, nutty taste and a smooth texture. Yum. I would love to have the recipe. Any chance of getting it?
Rancho Palos Verdes
Dear Ronald: We loved the light texture and flavor of this recipe, which combines a base of all-purpose and whole wheat flour with hints of cinnamon, vanilla and honey and a bright tang from buttermilk. What a fun way to start the morning!
Country Gourmet's whole wheat pancakes
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 to 10 pancakes
Note: Adapted from Country Gourmet in Sunnyvale, Calif.
1 cup (4.25 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (4.5 ounces) whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 egg whites)
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, cornmeal, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In a blender, purée the egg whites, honey, vanilla, buttermilk and melted butter until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
3. Gently whisk the dry and liquid ingredients together to form a batter. This makes about 5 cups batter.
4. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Grease the surface, then ladle half-cups of the batter to form each pancake. Cook until puffed and golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
5. This makes 8 to 10 pancakes. The restaurant serves them with butter and maple syrup.
Each of 10 pancakes: 185 calories; 6 grams protein; 29 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 6 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 14 mg. cholesterol; 8 grams sugar; 527 mg. sodium.
SEND YOUR CULINARY SOS REQUESTS to Noelle.Carter@latimes.com, or Culinary SOS, Food, Los Angeles Times, CA, 90012. Please include your name, phone number and city of residence.