Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Victor Ortiz to get another chance at title bout

Ortiz will fight Lamont Peterson in a junior-welterweight bout Dec. 11 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The winner will get a shot at the winner of one of two title fights.

October 11, 2010|By Lance Pugmire

Oxnard's Victor Ortiz will have the opportunity to gain another world title shot when he meets Lamont Peterson on Dec. 11 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, a junior-welterweight bout announced by Ortiz's promoter Monday.

The 23-year-old Ortiz (28-2-1, 22 knockouts) was destined for a title shot last year before suffering a surprising technical-knockout loss to Marcos Maidana in a Staples Center main event. Ortiz has since rallied with four victories, including a third-round KO of veteran Vivian Harris on Sept. 18 at Staples Center.

"He got his confidence back from the scene of the crime, and we believe he'll show in December that he's ready now to fight anyone at 140 pounds," promoter Richard Schaefer said, referring to boxing's most talented division.

Ortiz-Peterson will precede the main event pitting Maidana (29-1, 27 KOs) vs. WBA champion Amir Khan (23-1, 17 KOs) on HBO. Schaefer said Ortiz will get a shot at either the Maidana-Khan winner (he promotes both) or the January winner between champions Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander.

Peterson (28-1, 14 KOs) has only lost to Bradley.

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|