Jerry Lee Lewis wrote the bumper song for this week's poll: "Whole lot of shake-up going on." Or maybe it should have been "Hello Dolley" with James Madison, fresh off its upset over Virginia Tech, checking in at No. 25. South Carolina, up 10 spots to No.14, suddenly looks the team Alabama should fear most.
Michigan and California cleared the waiver wire and debut in the poll, while although the WAC is suing because neither team gave notice of being good before the Sept. 10 deadline. Mike Stoops wants to know why Arizona isn't on the leader board -- which won't be an issue if his Wildcats upset Iowa in Tucson on Saturday. this weekend.
1. Boise State 1-0; Take-home essay: Why James Madison was worst U.S. President. (1)
2. Ohio State 2-0; At home this year more than Ozzie Nelson used to be. (2)
3. Texas Christian 2-0; Next game: Baylor. Next difficult game: Nov. 6 at Utah. (4)
4. Alabama 2-0; Tide's dead President defeat was three years ago vs. Louisiana (James) Monroe. (5)
5. Nebraska 2-0; At Washington sure looked like a sure win two years ago. (3)
6. Oregon 2-0; Tennessee found out lightning can strike five or six times. (6)
7. Iowa 2-0;Coach pipes in lullabies at practice to get kids ready for Arizona crowd. (8)
8. Texas 2-0; Was going to put Young's "Heisman" next to faux '2008 Big 12 title" banner. (7)
9. Oklahoma 2-0; with Utah State; clobbered Florida State. (15)
10. Wisconsin 2-0; Struggle versus San Jose State drops Badgers in BBI (Bavarian Brautwurst Index). (10)
11. Florida 2-0; Rainey's arrest gives coach bigger issues than sputtering offense. (14)
12. Utah 2-0; Watched tape of New Mexico then took a really long lunch break. (16)
13. Miami 1-1; Team returned home from Columbus thinking it's all about the SHOE. (9)
14. South Carolina 2-0; Spurrier running the ball is like Chuck Yeager driving a tank. (24)
15. Stanford; 2-0; Watch reruns of "Gunsmoked" on flight home after UCLA win. 19)
16. Arkansas 2-0; Hogs keep rising in polls but no one is really sure why. (17)
17. Auburn 2-0; GameDay truck must have ran out of gas on way home from Alabama. (18)
18. Houston 2-0; QB Keenum (concussion) assured he won't see stars this week against UCLA. (20)
19. Michigan 2-0; "Shoelace" Robinson receives a nice note from Motown star "Smokey." (NR)
20. California 2-0; Colorado petitions Pac-10 to delay entry until Year 2525. (NR)
21. USC 2-0; Coach thinks one quality loss could turn whole season around. (21)
22. Pittsburgh 1-1; Currently embroiled in six-way tie for second in Big East. (22)
23. Penn State 1-1; Not true Bryant Museum curator asked Paterno to be an exhibit. (25)
24. Louisiana State 2-0; School finally files paper work and pays appropriate poll tax. (NR).
25. James Madison 2-0; "Father" of Constitution and "Uncle Fester" to Boise's title campaign. (NR)
Dropped out: Georgia Tech (11), Florida State (12), Virginia Tech (13), Oregon State (23).
Moved in; Michigan , California , James Madison , Louisiana State.