Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSettlements

Toyota settles suit over deadly wreck

San Diego crash drew attention to sudden acceleration, leading to huge recalls.

September 18, 2010|Ken Bensinger

Toyota Motor Corp. has quietly settled a high-profile lawsuit over a fatal crash near San Diego last year that drew national attention to sudden acceleration in its vehicles and led to massive recalls and an unprecedented apology from its president.

The automaker revealed the settlement in a letter to a California Superior Court judge, but declined to provide any details of the terms, which it is seeking to keep confidential.

For The Record
Los Angeles Times Tuesday, September 21, 2010 Home Edition Main News Part A Page 4 News Desk 2 inches; 81 words Type of Material: Correction
Toyota settlement: An article in the Sept. 18 Section A about a Toyota legal settlement omitted the last four words of a statement by the automaker. It should have read "Toyota and the Saylor and Lastrella families reached an amicable agreement in mediation that fully resolves their product liability claims against Toyota and a Lexus dealership." As the article noted elsewhere, the settlement did not resolve negligence claims by the families against the dealership, Bob Baker Lexus, which remains a defendant.

By getting the case off its growing plate of legal woes, Toyota can focus on an aggressive strategy to fend off lawsuits with less dramatic evidence, many of which point to potential electronic problems in vehicles.

But the settlement has left out co-defendant Bob Baker Lexus, a move by the automaker that could set the stage for a potentially bloody fight with its own dealers over who is to blame for sudden acceleration incidents.

"Toyota has sought to protect only its own interests. They decided to cut out their own dealer," said Larry Willis, attorney for Bob Baker Lexus, which lent the ill-fated Lexus ES to California Highway Patrol officer Mark Saylor in August 2009.

Saylor was killed, along with his wife, Cleofe Lastrella, 13-year-old daughter, Mahala, and brother-in-law Chris Lastrella, when the sedan sped out of control and crashed over an embankment.

Investigators said the crash may have been caused by an improperly installed floor mat, but Willis argues that the floor mat was not the problem. He said the accident could have been caused by an inherent defect in the car's electronics.

The suit, filed by Saylor's parents along with the parents of his wife and brother-in-law, was considered by far the strongest among the hundreds of sudden acceleration cases brought against Toyota in the last year.

"Until they got rid of this case, it was going to be something everyone pointed at Toyota for," said Don Slavik, an attorney representing plaintiffs in sudden acceleration cases filed against the automaker in both federal and state court. "Now they're going to argue this was the dealer's fault alone and their cars aren't defective."

Bolstered by a 911 recording of the victims screaming "there's no brakes!" moments before a fiery death, the accident set off a chain of events leading to congressional hearings, multiple federal investigations and record fines against the automaker.

On Monday afternoon, Toyota is expected to file motions with Superior Court Judge Anthony J. Mohr in Santa Ana disclosing the settlement and requesting that its details be kept confidential, Willis said.

"Toyota and the Saylor and Lastrella families reached an amicable agreement in mediation that fully resolves their product liability claims against Toyota," the automaker said in a statement Friday.

Court filings indicate that Toyota and the plaintiffs negotiated a settlement in early June.

Willis said that because the terms of the Saylor settlement could have a material effect on the outcome of his client's defense, he will oppose the request for confidentiality.

"Our concern is that the dealership's interests have not been protected by Toyota," he said.

An individual involved in the mediation and who asked for anonymity said the plaintiffs had requested a $10-million settlement.

The automaker still faces dozens of other personal injury suits in that courtroom, as well as federal personal injury suits and claims for economic damage that have been consolidated in a U.S District Court in Santa Ana. Many of the other suits name Toyota dealers as co-defendants.

This week, Toyota filed a motion to dismiss hundreds of the federal complaints seeking class action status on grounds that they failed to identify a single electronic defect that could cause sudden acceleration.

Tim Pestotnik, an attorney for the Saylor and Lastrella families, declined to comment on the settlement and would not discuss his plans for the suit against Bob Baker Lexus. John L. Saylor, father of Mark Saylor, said he could not discuss settlement negotiations.

According to Willis, the plaintiffs' claim of negligence against Bob Baker Lexus has not been dropped.

Aaron Jacoby, a Los Angeles attorney specializing in representing dealerships, said it was rare for dealers and automakers to break ranks in litigation in which both are defendants.

"There is usually a standard of cooperation, but Toyota is not fighting just one case. There is a lot of money at stake," Jacoby said. "It absolutely means that other dealers should be very careful going forward."

Toyota has roughly 1,200 dealers nationwide.

Although hundreds of sudden acceleration complaints and multiple federal investigations of the phenomenon had been logged before Aug. 28, 2009, it wasn't until the Saylor crash that the issue took on national significance.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|