2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in the apples, then the oil, vanilla and nuts. This makes about 5 cups of batter.
3. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin pans, filling them about one-half to two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 30 minutes, rotating halfway through for even baking.
Each of 30 muffins: 220 calories; 2 grams protein; 27 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 12 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 15 grams sugar; 120 mg sodium.
Chunky apple pancakes
Total time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
Note: Adapted from A.P.P.L.E. (Apple Publicity Promotion Ladies Effort), published in "Sebastopol Gravenstein Apples: Sweet & Savory Recipes."
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
In a large bowl using a whisk, beat together the butter, powdered sugar and cinnamon until blended. Cover and chill until needed.
Pancakes and assembly
2 medium apples, peeled and cored
1 cup (4.25 ounces) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons melted butter or oil
1. Cut the apples into thin slices, then cut each slice into one-half-inch lengths.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a small bowl, beat together the egg, milk and melted butter or oil. Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth, then stir in the apple pieces.
3. Heat a griddle over medium-high heat until hot. Lightly grease the griddle and spoon about one-half cup of batter onto the griddle, spreading it into a 4-inch round. Cook until the bottom is browned, then flip and cook until the other side is browned and the pancake is cooked through. This makes about 6 to 8 pancakes, depending on size and thickness. Serve with the cinnamon butter.
Each of 6 servings: 284 calories; 4 grams protein; 45 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 10 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 56 mg cholesterol; 28 grams sugar; 570 mg sodium.