Beware the turkey burger! The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention… (KEN HIVELY / Los Angeles…)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that 107 people in 31 states have been infected with a drug-resistant strain of salmonella that was detected in ground turkey earlier this year. Last Friday, the Los Angeles Times reported that the count was 78.
Texas had the most cases -- 14 -- with Illinois and Michigan close behind at 13 and 12, respectively. The youngest person infected was under a year old; the oldest, 89. One death was reported, in California.
People infected with the salmonella bacterium typically suffer diarrhea, fever and cramps that last four to seven days. In rare cases, severe diarrhea or the infection's spread into the bloodstream can warrant hospitalization. The very young, the very old and people with compromised immune systems are most likely to get seriously ill.
The CDC's release noted that eating ground turkey was still considered the likely source of the outbreak, and urged consumers to check their homes for recalled ground turkey products (view a PDF of the recall list here.
The agency also offered tips for safe preparation of raw poultry. The big idea: Don't depend on cooking time to determine if your turkey burger is ready -- make sure the internal temperature of the meat hits 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Read the full CDC update here. For Los Angeles Times coverage of the outbreak, check out the links at the left.