1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
6 (1-inch thick) slices bread, such as challah or brioche, somewhat stale
3 tablespoons butter or bacon fat, divided
Powdered sugar, as desired
Maple syrup, preferably grade B, as desired
1. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the cream, then the vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the batter into a wide, shallow baking dish.
2. Soak the bread slices on each side, about 2 minutes per side.
3. Heat a large, heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat until hot. Melt a tablespoon of butter in the hot pan, then add 2 slices of the bread. Reduce the heat and fry the slices gently on each side until the bread is crisp and golden-brown, and the inside of the bread is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Cover the pan while cooking so the bread toasts evenly and thoroughly.
4. Remove the toast and hold on a baking sheet in a warm oven until all of the slices are toasted. Repeat with the remaining slices.
5. Slice each piece of toast in half and plate 3 half slices on each of 4 plates. Dust each with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with warm maple syrup.
Each of 4 servings (analyzed without powdered sugar and maple syrup): 584 calories; 14 grams protein; 44 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 40 grams fat; 22 grams saturated fat; 307 mg cholesterol; 3 grams sugar; 495 mg sodium.