Amy Winehouse's tragic death at her home this weekend has left her family as well as fans all over the world mourning the loss. The soulstress, known for such hits as "Rehab," was found dead at her London home Saturday. She joins Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and others as singers who died at the age of 27.
If autopsy results indicate that a drug overdose was involved, Winehouse would be far from the first star to fall because of substance abuse. Often, instead of succumbing to such high-profile killers as cocaine, these celebrities died from a combination of relatively common prescription medications, such as codeine or OxyContin. Such victims include Heath Ledger, Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe.
For more information about prescription drug abuse and a list of commonly misused types, visit the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
If you or someone you know is struggling with a drug- or alcohol-related problem, you're not alone. Check out health writer Jeannine Stein's chat with Brenda Wilhelmson, author of "Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife."
Follow me on Twitter @LAT_aminakhan.